With a wide selection of bike rack styles and price points available, it can quickly become overwhelming to decide what type of bike rack is best suited to your needs. The Discount Ramp team of product experts wants to ensure you pick the correct bike rack for your vehicle. The correct rack should fit your vehicle properly, providing secure transportation without breaking the bank. Choosing the wrong rack could be a serious safety hazard, or cause damage to your vehicle during transportation.
We have compiled a series of articles to help you determine which bike rack is best for you. If you ever have any questions or concerns, our friendly and knowledgeable customer service team is always happy to help! Simply call us at 888-651-3431!
What types of racks are available?
|Type of Bike Rack ||Price Range ||Pros ||Cons |
|Hitch Mounted ||$-$$$ || |
- Easy installation
- No need to disassemble the bike
- Requires a trailer hitch
- Trunk access may be blocked
|Trunk Mounted ||$ || |
- Versatile to fit most vehicles
- Compact storage when not in use
- Trunk access will be blocked
- Multiple rack-to-vehicle points of contact
|Roof Racks ||$-$$ || |
- Support bikes with unusual designs
- Does not obstruct your rear view
- Vehicle and rack won't fit in structures with low clearance
- Increased wind resistance may reduce fuel economy
|Pickup Truck Bed ||$ || |
- Easy use and installation
- Loading bikes is quick and easy
- Bikes dominate the entire bed space
- Will not work with standard truck caps
We’ll be posting a series of articles going into detail about each style of bike rack to help you determine which bike is best for your needs, and sharing some recommended products in each category. No matter your carrying requirements, from one bike to multiple bikes and camping gear, Discount Ramps will help you find your ideal bike rack.
Next: Choosing the Best Bike Rack for your Vehicle: Hitch Bike Racks
Other Helpful Resources
Find more How-to Guides and Articles