- How to Safely Tie Down a Motorcycle
How to Safely Tie Down a Motorcycle
You will need the following basic equipment to secure a motorcycle for transportation:
The buckle section of your straps should be made out of high-strength metal with a tooth-style gripping plate.
How to Tie Down a Motorcycle for Transportation
- Once you’ve used a motorcycle ramp to load the bike into the truck or trailer, wrap a soft loop around the base of the left side handle bar and place the hook end of one strap through the soft loop.
- Secure the other hook end of the strap to a secure spot in your truck or trailer, preferably on an angle.
- Pull the slack out of the strap and ratchet it a few times.
- Repeat these first three steps for the right side handle bar.
- Tighten each ratchet strap so that the bike will sit in the upright position on its own.
- Do not compress the front forks, as doing so may cause serious damage to the suspension of the bike.
- For the rear of the bike, find a stable part of the bike and wrap a soft loop around it, then proceed to secure the straps to the bike in same fashion as done in the front.
- To ensure stability, periodically check the strap tightness and the condition of the straps along with the load itself before and during the trip.
- Install a motorcycle wheel chock, and position the straps so that they are pulling the bike inward towards the wheel chock.
Please contact us if you have any additional questions, and one of our experienced and knowledgeable staff members will be glad to assist you.
Click here to return to the Knowledge Base